Monday, December 12, 2011

Idea for the final paper

So I've been MIA from this blog, knocking out the final papers for my other two classes. Now that I'm done with those I have time to consider my final paper for this class.

I toyed around with a lot of ideas; I thought maybe about writing on Asian forms of theatrical makeup, but I had just finished a paper on Chinese Opera Makeup for another class. I considered trying to look into the history of special effects makeup in cinema, especially considering how often you see them in films and television now. I used to do that quite often in one of my jobs, so I thought that might be interesting.



However, I was concerned about finding enough resources in the limited amount of time I have.

Instead, I'm going to write a paper on makeup in early film. I want to look at makeup from the early 1900's to about 1940, talk about the developments of makeup as Hollywood grew and evolved. Additionally, I want to talk about who was making the innovations of the time, people like Max Factor, Wally Westmore and his brothers, and actor Lou Chaney.

So far for resources, I have my book on the cosmetics industry, 'Hope in a Jar'. I have my book 'Pretty: Film and the Decorative Image', and my encyclopedia on makeup 'Fashions in Makeup'. Additionally I've found a good essay on the topic, 'Casting Race: A History of Makeup Technology in the U.S. Film Industry, 1890-1940' by Jennifer H Miller. There are a few good websites that talk about Max Factor and early cinemas' makeup developments, so I may find a few suitable supplemental sources.

No comments:

Post a Comment